A FREE national parks pass is available to all branches of the Military (Army, AF, Navy, etc). This is an $80 value savings!! This includes free entrance to over 2000 federal recreational sites!
As a bonus, it's actually more than just national parks. These five agencies also participate:
- National Park Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Bureau of Land Management
- Bureau of Reclamation
- Who's Eligible?
- US Military Members and their dependents
- Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, US Reserves, National Guard Members
- Where do I get it?
- You have to obtain it IN PERSON. You cannot order it online unfortunately. They offer it at Federal recreation sites that charge entrance or standard amenity fees. So pretty much any place you can get a regular pass, you can get this pass.
- If you want a full list of locations that you can pick up your pass, click HERE
- What ID should I show?
- Preferably your CAC card or DoD Form 1173. I actually didn't have my CAC or Form 1173 military ID when I got mine, but I did have my orders with me and that worked just fine. Orders have to be over 30 days.
- After obtaining your "America the Beautiful" pass, you must bring photo ID along with the free annual pass to get in
- What does it cover?
- It covers the entrance fee and amenity fees for your vehicle or up to 4 people including you. Children 15 and under get in for free and don't count toward the 4 people limit.
- HERE is a FAQ about the military pass if you have other questions
- How long does the pass last?
- 12 months (one year)
There are also many days that have free entrance for veterans and the public. Some examples include:
- January 20 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- Presidents Day weekend)
- April 19-20 (opening weekend of National Park Week)
- August 25 (National Park Service Birthday)
- September 27 (National Public Lands Day)
- November 11-13 (Veterans Day Weekend)
- To learn more about how the National Park Service honors Veterans click HERE