USAA is rolling out a discount for participating in their driving research program. If you've ever heard of Progressive's "Snapshot", its very similar to that. It collects data on your vehicle. As a reward for participating they will give you a 5% discount on your auto insurance.
To sign up visit usaa.com/drivingresearch
Don't have USAA Auto Insurance Yet? Get a FREE Quote Here
Its easy to use. Here's what you do:
- Install: We'll send you a small device that plugs into a port, usually located near your car's dashboard. It's easy to install and doesn't require any tools or mechanical know-how. Find out where the device connects in your vehicle with the port finder tool.
- Drive: The device will collect information about the vehicle, including how, where and when it is driven. The data will be sent to us and our business partners for evaluation. All you have to do is drive.
- Get your discount: You'll automatically get a 5% discount on your auto insurance rate while participating.
- Who can sign up?
- Right now it is only available to residents of Arizona, Idaho, Texas, Washington, and Virginia.
- Can I enroll more than one car?
- You can only enroll one car per eligible policy
- What type of car can be enrolled?
- It must be a 1996 model or newer
I got mine in the mail this week. It only took 3 days after signing up to receive it. I used the port finder tool to find where to put it in my car. Here is a picture of where it is located in my car.
I'm very happy with it. It is hidden so no one can see it and it doesn't get in the way. USAA automatically gives me a 5% discount which is over $50/year for me. It also acts as a GPS. If anyone stole my car for example, I would have a GPS device in it that I could track where it is. The online interface is very user friendly also. You can view all the trips your vehicle has been on and how it was driven. There is even an alert section that informs you if the car is driven during restricted hours or over a certain speed limit. It would be great to have with teenage kids.
Here's a screenshot of all the options of things you can look at from your home computer of mobile device.
Not a member of USAA yet? Get A Free USAA Auto Insurance Quote